My Personal Strategy for Losing Weight in the New Year….too many people resolve to lose weight but never actually have a plan in place for doing it. Therefore, year after year, they have the same New Year’s resolution because their goal was never achieved. Has this happened to you? How can you change this relentless pattern?
It’s important when setting goals to follow the S.M.A.R.T. goal system. This system will help you accomplish what you set out to do and reach your goals in a timely fashion.
• Specific. Be explicit in what you want. Write down a specific number of pounds that you would like to lose.
• Measurable. Weigh yourself every week and take note of your weight change, either up or down. Keep track of this in a journal.
• Attainable. Small goals which lead up to a larger goal are often easier to reach. The success of reaching these small goals will keep you motivated.
• Realistic. Understand what your body is capable of doing and set your goals accordingly.
• Timely. Keep your goal in focus by setting a completion date.
In addition, here are some more weight loss tips to help you succeed with your New Year’s resolution:
1. Have a plan of action. How much weight do you want to lose? Break your total down into a series of smaller attainable goals. For example, plan to lose ____ pounds by ____ (date). Make these goals realistic, and then follow a plan of diet and exercise to achieve them.
• Your plan may require changes in your lifestyle. Work these changes into your daily routines one-by-one to attain your goals.
• Write your goals down in a journal, and review them every day.
2. Change your diet. Figure out how many calories you’ve been consuming each day. If it’s over 2,500, gradually decrease the number of calories instead of immediately dropping to 1,200 calories a day.
For example, try limiting yourself to 2,000 calories a day for a week, then drop to 1,500 for another week. Eventually, you’ll reach your goal without being severely deprived.
• Reducing your daily calorie intake will require healthy eating choices. Consult your physician for recommended nutritional guides, and choose the one that works best for you.
• There are online programs that calculate your calorie and fat intake for you. All you do is write in your food choices. Use whatever tools you need to simplify your tasks and stay motivated to reach your goals.
3. Get off the Couch. Set a reasonable exercise schedule to help you with your weight loss goal. Design your exercise regimen to target the areas that need the most toning (i.e. thighs, abs, arms, buttocks, etc.).
• Keep your exercise goals realistic. Start small if you need to, and then increase your regimen. For example, running 5 miles every day will burn off a lot of calories, but it may not be feasible for you. You may need to first try walking to build up some stamina, and then add in running little by little.
• Setting goals, which are too far from your normal activities, will quickly wear you out and discourage you. Start small and build on each success. Increase your exercise time (or treadmill speed, or incline, etc.) by a small increment each week.
• Exercising a little bit each day will increase your energy and help you become healthier. And you don’t need a gym membership or expensive exercise equipment either. Walk or run around your neighborhood or use canned foods instead of weights. You can even borrow exercise DVDs from the library.
4. Make Some Friends. The people who are usually the most successful in losing weight and keeping it off are the ones who have a great support system. Nothing deters you like knowing you’re accountable to others for every bite you put in your mouth.
• Your support team will encourage you, work out with you, and bring you confidence when times are tough.
• Some people find it helpful to join a local weight loss support group or an online weight loss group. Celebrating your weight loss successes with others will make them that much more meaningful.
Losing weight is possible for anyone who approaches the challenge wisely. With some careful planning and determination, your weight loss goal can certainly become a reality in the New Year.
New Year Weight Loss Affirmations: – I am firmly committed to staying active and healthy.
I remain lively and fit because I am dedicated to me.
Being dedicated and committed to my health assures me that I will remain healthy and active throughout my life.
I appreciate and enjoy the conviction to eat healthy foods and exercise my body and mind. I also make sure I relax and de-stress. These are all measures I take to ensure I stay active, healthy and happy.
I have a set schedule that includes an exercise regimen and proper foods to give me plenty of energy. I feel stronger when I exercise and I feel better when I have a balance of nutrients in my body. I enjoy feeling good and I deserve to be healthy.
Sometimes it is difficult for me to go to the gym when I really would rather stay home, but I let go of these feelings because I am committed to myself. It is through this commitment that I ensure a better me.
Today I choose to remain committed to myself and to my regimen of exercise and nutrition. I let go of the urge to skip my schedule. I let go of my urge to eat unhealthy foods. When I dedicate myself to my commitments, I know that I will enjoy a healthy and active body for a long time.
1. Have I allowed negative thinking to get in my way of my commitment?
2. Have I dedicated myself to daily exercise?
3. Am I committed to eating healthy foods?
New Year Weight Loss Affirmations: – Change is healthy. I refuse to get stuck in the same routines.
Just as I know that every day the sun will rise and set in its regular routine, I also know that each new dawn brings tremendous possibilities for change. In nature, no day is exactly like the day before.
In the same way, even when my life seems routine, I realize the potential is there for me to change whatever I desire.
It is healthy for my mind and spirit to change every day routines. Change keeps my mind sharp and my spirit energized. When I need to complete the same tasks day after day, I can still accomplish them in different ways so I can avoid getting into a rut.
For example, my daily household chores can be done in any order I choose, so I change the order around each day. Some days I dance while I do them and other days I sing. Sometimes I listen to classical music and other times I rock out!
Mindless chores also give me the chance to think through new ideas and create action plans for achieving my goals. After all, do I really need to think about garbage when I take out the trash? Do I really need to focus on dirt when I vacuum?
I realize that the only way I can get stuck in the same routines and stagnate is if I allow myself to do so. It is so easy to spice up the mundane, all I have to do is take swift action!
When life gets boring, I can expand my knowledge instead of watching TV. I can learn a new hobby, practice a new skill, or go on an adventure. Each of these changes sparks new passions and opens up even more opportunities for further fulfillment.
Today, I see life as different from any day that has come before. I can grab hold of any opportunities I may have missed because I am willing to be adaptable.
1. Do I feel stuck in my routines?
2. What actions can I take to change them?
3. What exciting adventure can I plan for my next day off?
New Year Weight Loss Affirmations: – I deserve a healthy body and mind.
I am worthy of having a fit body and a sound mind.
I am a good person who is worthy of having a healthy body and a healthy mind. I am worth taking care of and I love myself enough to put my health first.
Just as I take special care of my family and even my animals and plants, I take special care of myself. By taking care of myself I will have more to offer others, but I also take care of myself because I deserve to be healthy.
I make sure that my family has healthy foods to eat, a clean house to live in, and clean clothes to wear. I listen to them when they talk to me. I provide my family with healthy bodies and healthy minds because I love them.
Just as I take care of my family, I choose to take care of myself, too. I make sure I have a clean house to live in, clean clothes to wear, and healthy food to eat. I spend time relaxing and recharging my mind because I love me. I love me because I am worth loving.
Today I will take an inventory of myself and I will list the things about me that I love. I acknowledge my accomplishments and my traits that I enjoy. I give myself credit for being a strong, intelligent and caring person who is worthy of a healthy body and mind.
1. What do I love about me?
2. What accomplishments am I most proud of?
3. How have I taken care of my body and my mind?
New Year Weight Loss Affirmations: – I have the ability to moderate the portions of food, work, stress, and time on my plate.
I manage my time effectively and proportionately for all areas of my life. My time is precious to me and I am proud of my ability to manage my time without neglecting any areas in my life.
I take the time to make sure the foods I eat are healthy and I take the time to prepare and enjoy them.
I manage my time at work so I can accomplish my tasks efficiently and professionally.
I take the time to relax and relieve my daily stress so I can be recharged and rejuvenated.
I guard my energy level and make sure it stays high enough to accomplish my tasks without feeling exhausted.
My time is precious and I am worth managing it well. My life is more effective overall and I am better able to enjoy my life because all the areas are included.
I feed my energy by eating well and relaxing as well as getting exercise. I reduce stress by relaxing and making sure my time at work is well spent. I am able to be efficient and effective at work because I am well nourished and de-stressed.
As I manage my time well, I am improving every area of my life because everything is connected.
Today I will make sure I have planned my time wisely and have left nothing out. I will take the time to eat healthy foods, manage my time at work, take time to relax and feed my energy level. I love myself by managing my time.
1. Have I taken the time to eat right and feed my energy level?
2. Have I utilized good time management skills at work?
3. Have I taken the time to relax and relieve stress?