Losing weight and getting lean is much easier when your metabolism runs faster. Some people have naturally high metabolism. These are the people who eat anything they want without ever gaining weight. Unfortunately, most of us do not fall into this category.
If you are like me, even when you exercise and do everything right from a nutritional standpoint, you still have trouble losing weight. Well join the club. However, I found 5 simple things that help blast my metabolism to burn more fat.
1. Eat 5 to 7 Small Meals – This is my all time favorite secret weapon toburning fat and increasing the metabolism. Scientific studies have shown that your metabolism will increase significantly if you eat small meals every 2 to 3 hours. The same amount of calories when broken into 7 smaller meals will cause your body to burn more calories and thereforeincrease your metabolism.
2. Eat Quality Foods – Your diet should consist mostly of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, beans or nuts. Avoid simple carbs such as white flour products (bread, pasta), white rice and sugary desserts. Protein tends to burn faster than carbs so include a protein source (slice deli meat, grilled chicken, lean steak, fish) along with complex carbs such as vegetables or brown rice.
3. Never Skip Breakfast – The calories you save by skipping breakfast will come back to haunt you!. People who regularly skip breakfast consume many more calories overall than those who eat breakfast.
Skipping breakfast puts your body into starvation mode and causes you to overeat later in the day, particularly at lunch or mid afternoon. Also, your body needs nutrients to function, why would you not fuel up in the morning so that you have energy to think clear and be more productive.
4. Cup of Coffee or Tea in Morning – This is a simple way to rev your metabolism by simply using caffeine first thing in the morning. If you want to burn more fat, drink your coffee or tea after awaking and start your exercise program early in the morning. Delay breakfast until after your workout. This will cause your body to burn through more of its fat reserve.
5. High Intensity Interval Training – You can burn more fat through 2 minutes of high intensity exercise such as jump rope, stair climbing, boxing or high intensity aerobics followed by 1 minute of rest with about 3 to 4 cycles.
The total time rages from 9 to 12 minutes and you?re done. This high intensity interval training for short duration has proven to be much more effective at burning fat than 30 minutes on a treadmill plus it saves you lots of time.